Abandoned Mines Discussion Forum Forum Index Abandoned Mines Discussion Forum
Abandoned Mines of New York / New Jersey

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
Abandoned Mines Discussion Forum Forum Index

steam loco in Andover

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Abandoned Mines Discussion Forum Forum Index -> Mine Railroads
Digg it Stumble it Submit to Del.icio.us Diigo it Prefound it Reddit it Facebook it Blink it Slashdot it Linkagogo it 
View previous topic :: View next topic  
elray
Loose Scaler

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 10:00 am    Post subject: steam loco in Andover Reply with quote

I see the 2 ft gauge steam loco that was sitting outside near Andover has been moved to Sparta. Does anyone know what the plans are for it?
Karlsweldt
Ironmaster

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would this link (engine 31, Rosedale Rd.) refer to that locomotive? From associated links, looks like it was moved to a more secure area for storage until restored.
elray
Loose Scaler

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

that's it I saw a pic showing it being loaded on a trailer with a crane within the last few days
Karlsweldt
Ironmaster

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, should have noted Roseville Road, instead of Rosedale!
That may well have been the engine used in the Lackawanna Cutoff construction. Found this link in a search for that engine model.. "Carter Construction 0-4-0T #31". The first photo shows it being loaded onto a flatbed trailer! And here is a link noting the known survivors of the steam engine era. Huge list of almost all states!

elray
Loose Scaler

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like it's going to get a cosmetic restoration only....That's too bad given the number of 2 ft gauge rr's on the east coast that would love to have an engine like that make a guest appearence once in a while.
Karlsweldt
Ironmaster

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, it like others are only reminders of what is a by-gone era. A total restoration would be prohibitively expensive.. given its probable use. If kept under shelter from the elements, a moderate restoration will make it look almost as good as new. Most of the old engines and other mine equipment were scrapped and sent to other countries. All we have left is a few photos and documents. Sad. But at least a few were salvaged and restored for our generation.. and future ones.. to revere their majesty.
elray
Loose Scaler

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

too bad so much has gone to scrap....I try to save what I can
Mikedc3
Ironmaster

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is sooooo cool. I can't believe after 20+ years of exploring the Lackawanna Cut Off, I have never heard of or seen this. I have found and followed several of the old narrow gauge track beds leading off of the cut off over the years hoping to find any remains of the work camps or concrete plants they had during construction.

I did find part of a small RR wheel by a work camp site neat Stanhope. I think it may have come from one of these small engines.

This hangs in my shed for now.

Karlsweldt
Ironmaster

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While there are many search links about the Lackawanna Cutoff construction and history, likely the original companies have long gone into the 'black hole' of oblivion. Same too for most of the involved rail groups, having been absorbed into a conglomerate of Federal grouping.
MinerDan
ABM Underground Crew
ABM Underground Crew

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is the locomotive. Thats pretty cool, I remember hearing of an old mine locomitve in hamburg, under the route 23 and old lime kiln road bridge that was there for over 80 years. Unfortunately it was scrapped during the route 23 reconstruction in the 80's.
elray
Loose Scaler

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any updated pics of this engine?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Abandoned Mines Discussion Forum Forum Index -> Mine Railroads All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: