Abandoned Mines Discussion Forum Forum Index Abandoned Mines Discussion Forum
Abandoned Mines of New York / New Jersey

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
Abandoned Mines Discussion Forum Forum Index

Allamuchy State Park in Byram, NJ

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Abandoned Mines Discussion Forum Forum Index -> Mine Hiking
Digg it Stumble it Submit to Del.icio.us Diigo it Prefound it Reddit it Facebook it Blink it Slashdot it Linkagogo it 
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MarkS
Loose Scaler

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2009 9:16 am    Post subject: Allamuchy State Park in Byram, NJ Reply with quote

I was totally bored out of my mind one day so I decided to check out the northeastern part of Allamuchy Mountain State Park. I parked up by Cranberry Lake. I wasnít looking for any mines, but the park map shows a trail called ďIron Mine LoopĒ so that looked like the best place to start! (Note: since the park map indicates this is Iron Mine Loop, I feel that itís OK to disclose itís location). Iron Mine Loop is a nice trail, but there is NO WAY you can stay on the main path because you see so many interesting things off to the sides like rocky outcrops, cliffs, cool little hidden valleys, and of course, all the mine related stuff.

Starting at the northern entrance of the loop, about 50 feet and already there is something to see. This is the adit at "Silver Mine".

It goes in about 10 feet.

Another couple hundred feet and go off the trail to the right. Looks like something interesting.

Especially when you look a little to the right.

Before you go up the hill, check out all the junk at the bottom. An ore cart, a winch, and a truck - thatís all you need!

Hook around to the right going up the hill to see a few pits here and there. Then you come to the grated shaft. You can get through the grate from the lower right hand corner. BUT, as I later found out, this is the Charlotte Mine which is a Uranium mine, so DONíT EAT THE ROCKS. But seriously, if you're not worried about natural uranium, there may be Radon gas, or big mutant spiders or something. Probably a few minutes in there wouldnít hurt you, but who knows.

Itís very steep and about 20 feet down, so I would bring a rope if youíre going in. I couldnít see the bottom but you can hear water dripping.

I canít believe I didnít bring a flashlight!

A second grated shaft which has filled in.

And a third one, also filled in.

Remains of a cabin/office?

Back on the trail again, you come to another small mine.

This one goes in about 15 feet.

Off the trail again, some more mining activity. This is on the map as "Large Opening Silver Mine".

Then at the top of another hill.

This snakeskin was still moist, I must have just missed him! I held it up next to me and it was 5 and a half feet long.

Down the other side of the cliff I found a bearís den.

This must be the same snake from the snakeskin. A Black Rat Snake.

Down by the southern entrance to the trail, someone has been doing some blasting. This is "Allen's Old Quarry".

A three inch hole clear through to the leaves below.

Scramble up the rocks there and you will find some small caves.

A couple of huge buzzards were grunting at me.

Another cave.

Although this snake is brown, I think it is also a Black Rat Snake because of its size. Not sure, but itís too big to be a Northern Water Snake. This coil was much bigger than my boot, so I estimate it was at least five feet long.

The blue covering over its eye means it will shed its skin soon.

The main trail in this area is the old Lackawanna Railroad bed. There are lots of mines in this area. Seems like a great place for another hike.

See ya!
Mark

Last edited by MarkS on Sat Nov 07, 2009 10:44 am; edited 2 times in total
Karlsweldt
Ironmaster

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2009 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great photos! That old map may still reveal unrecorded aspects of the area. This source link http://mapmaker.rutgers.edu/HISTORICALMAPS/RAILROADS/Railroads.html lists an old map of Railroads of NJ 1887 (huge JPG image!) which shows the area of Stanhope, Andover, Hampton and Sussex.
If that map you show is respective of the older map, then the rail lines should be seen.. along with other older rail lines that are now abandoned.
There was a rail line crossing Rte. 15 near where Zinga's Corn Patch is.. you have to look hard to find its remains. It also ran through Newton, and the beds are still accessible.. plus the old rail freight station is still there!

The intent of that park map showing the public trails was meant to imply that visitors stay on the trails.. or venture off at your own risk. For the experienced, should not be a problem. But would be wise to divulge your intents with a Ranger first. If you don't get an approval to "explore", you may face trespassing charges.
And I thought I knew the area history!

miner bob
ABM Underground Crew
ABM Underground Crew

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2009 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mark,

The first adit you found was what we call the worlds smallest adit Very Happy

The second mine with the grating is the Charlotte uranium mine. Mine is shaped like an inverted "T" inside. Grating on top was the shaft, grating on the side was once an adit. On top there are also some more grated openings. If you look on the vintage photos section of this site, Dan has a photo of this mine from the 60's.
Just an FYI, paralleling the rail bed on the opposite side in the woods are two more mines. Next time you are there, check them out.

MinerDan
ABM Underground Crew
ABM Underground Crew

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2009 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats a great post, really enjoyed. You need to come to our Mine BBQ so we can sit down and chat about this stuff.
MarkS
Loose Scaler

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2009 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went back to the area to look for the mines shown on the old map. I didn't know some of the photos above were some of the same things listed on the map. So here is the old map updated for the archives. All of the things on the map are still there to see (although the shafts are all filled in).
jimbostar
Mucker

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 4:39 pm    Post subject: Abandoned mines in Andover area Reply with quote

[size=12]Great pics! I was just running this trail last week. I missed some of those areas in the pics. I will be sure to go back! Here is a map of the mines around Andover from 1978.
Jim
[/size]
Notread
Mucker

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 12:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know this is an older post, but if you are curious, your first snake is indeed a Black Rat Snake, your second snake however is a Northern Black Racer. Smile
MarkS
Loose Scaler

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. I wasn't sure what it was, but it's nice to know. There's some big ones out there!
ttxela
Mine Supervisor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That truck in the original post would make a nice project. Nothing that won't polish out Laughing
Gwumpy
Loose Scaler

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2016 12:07 pm    Post subject: Allamuchy (south) Reply with quote

Went for a walk in Allamuchy Mtn Park yesterday, and by accident came upon a couple of areas of obvious mine-related activity. The first was just off the portion of Lake View Tr that follows the unpaved section of Deer Park Rd (N40ļ53'50.5" W74ļ48'11.3"), and is an obvious shaft entrance. The second was on an unblazed path (shown on the NY/NJ Trail Conference map) between the Birch Tr and the parking area at the end of the paved section of Deer Park Rd. This (N40ļ53'30.1" N74ļ48'38.0") had a couple of exploratory pits near a cut. Looking at the map posted by FerromonteFan, the shaft is probably the Haggerty Mine, but there's nothing on the map for the second. Comments?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Abandoned Mines Discussion Forum Forum Index -> Mine Hiking All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: