Abandoned Mines Discussion Forum Forum Index Abandoned Mines Discussion Forum
Abandoned Mines of New York / New Jersey

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
Abandoned Mines Discussion Forum Forum Index

Would This Concern You?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Abandoned Mines Discussion Forum Forum Index -> Abandoned Mine Discussions | 500ft Level
Digg it Stumble it Submit to Del.icio.us Diigo it Prefound it Reddit it Facebook it Blink it Slashdot it Linkagogo it 
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jackstraw63
Ironmaster

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 9:42 am    Post subject: Would This Concern You? Reply with quote

While on a hike in Mount Olive, I found this sludgy iron discharge coming out of a rock outcrop right below the dam of a reservior.

I guess a little iron never hurt anyone.

MinerDan
ABM Underground Crew
ABM Underground Crew

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

just low PH water, perfectly diluted into the water table. No worries everyone, move along now... hehe.
duganc
Loose Scaler

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like hellishly. Who knew NJ had anthracite mines?

EDIT. last night when I typed this I used the term "yellow boy" instead of hellishly.

I was trying to make a pun. Don't know if the browser on my iPhone somehow automatically made the change.

Last edited by duganc on Fri Jun 17, 2011 10:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
Karlsweldt
Ironmaster

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some areas of northern New Jersey are high in soluble iron deposits. I remember back some 50 years ago.. before the original A&P shopping Center was built.. two homes were there.. log cabins. Drawing water from their wells and allowed to sit in a glass, the water turned rusty in less than two hours!! The supply well for the A&P center also had similar problems, but was later connected to the town mains. No more "rusty" water!
High iron content in water is not harmful.. but if you ingest too much and walk through an airport scanner, you may set it off!
"Iron Man" wanna-be? Laughing Laughing

duganc
Loose Scaler

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Karlsweldt wrote:
Drawing water from their wells and allowed to sit in a glass, the water turned rusty in less than two hours!!

I live in Chester and my well is 400' deep. Untreated it will turn rusty in less time than that. A few years back we took a sample to a lab in Irvington to get tested. It started turning before we got there!
MinerDan
ABM Underground Crew
ABM Underground Crew

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2011 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chester NJ? I believe you got a good few mines around you that can keep you busy in Chester. Have you found any?
Jackstraw63
Ironmaster

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2011 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know the term " yellow boy" from Pennsylvania mineralogy. I believe a spot in Lehigh County with a uranium deposit next to a brook has yellow boy which actually acts like a sponge protecting those downstream from high levels of U.
Jimmy212
Mucker

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where in Chester NJ?

Jim
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Abandoned Mines Discussion Forum Forum Index -> Abandoned Mine Discussions | 500ft Level All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: